Friday, February 10, 2006

We have a guest with us today...


A huge part of my life since coming to Crane has been the Opera Ensemble. I've participated, in one way or another, in every production since my since my first semester and it is an organization which I'm very proud of.

For a little more than a year it has been known that one of our brilliant Music Theory and Composition faculty members, Dr. Siskind, has been hard at work on a new opera which will be premiered by the Opera Ensemble in Fall of 2006. Quite exciting. The idea of working on a brand new piece with a living composer is very overwhelming and very stimulating.

To make all of this all the better, Miss Stephanie Blythe, has agreed to come and play the lead mezzo in the opera next fall. In addition to being a Crane alumna she is also winner of the Richard Tucker Award, Metropolitan Opera Star, etc...

The buzz for this big project, The Sailor Boy and the Falcon, is eally starting to build up. Part of the energy for this project is due to the fact that auditions for it are being held at the end of this semester instead of at the beginning of next. This places everything in a much more urgent way.


At yesterday's rehearsal, Dr. Severtson, the Vocal Coach, stopped us and said, "We have a guest with us today." Stephanie Blythe was seated on the other side of the room. I had been completely unaware of her entrance as I was totally engrossed in what we were working on. After a few kind words, she left just as easily as she came.

Now, not only is she a world reknown Opera Singer (literally, one of the best mezzo's performing today). Her truly graceful elegance makes for quite the presence.

Granted, I had met her in person my freshman year, but I had seen her from a distance before approaching her. This took me completly by surprise and made the whole air of it that much more exciting.

It is quite possible that I have never been more excited for anything in my life than next semester's opera production.

It will be my last semester on campus, could I ask for anything more?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home